The Apple iPad is saturating the medical profession.
by Linda M.
TECHNOLOGY The iPad is one of the most popular tablet computers that offers new ways for surgeons and doctors to display product information, surgical-implant techniques and radiological images. Students can learn by viewing sample images in the classroom or at home without returning to labs or hospitals.
The following (abbreviated) list of 20 must-have iPad apps for radiologists and x-ray techs is compiled from the iTunes store. The first section consists of images that can be viewed to showcase medical companies’ techniques or learning strategies. The second category consists of viewers that either comply with certain company criteria or that can be used by subscription to view patient images.
- 3D4Medical’s Images was designed specifically for the iPad to showcase over 200 high quality 3D4Medical.com images.
- Brain MRI Atlas is a free app that allows you to navigate through hundreds of labeled brain structures.
- HD Radiology is an encyclopedia filled with general radiology information and provides a tool for teaching and learning in schools, colleges and universities.
- IMAIOS Mobile is an atlas of human anatomy for healthcare professionals who have subscribed to IMAIOS. This app requires an internet connection and a paid premium individual subscription.
- Monster Anatomy Lite – Knee is the free version of Monster Anatomy – Lower Limb (see below), an interactive lower limb radiology atlas.
- Monster Anatomy HD – Lower Limb is an interactive lower limb radiology atlas presented at the 2009 Radiological Society of North America annual meeting. Application contains contiguous MR slices (4-5 mm thickness) in the three anatomical planes.
- Monster Anatomy – Upper Limb is an interactive upper limb radiology atlas. This application is designed for healthcare professionals as well for students, as a reference and learning tool.
- Radiology 2.0: One Night in the ED Rather than use static images, Radiology 2.0 uses stacks of CT images to actually teach the reader how to approach and interpret CT scans. This incredible series available free to the medical community.
- Radiology Assistant — Medical Imaging Reference & Education is an easy-to-navigate great teaching program that uses localized content with a layout optimized for your device’s screen.
- Radiology Toolbox Lite helps radiologists, residents, medical students, radiology technologists and technology students. Useful tools include radiographic contrast premedication, GFR calculator, solitary pulmonary nodule criteria, gastric emptying times and readiosotope half-lives.
- Radiopaedia Vol 1 is the brain radiology teaching file light. These apps go up to six volumes, but newly developed apps will replace them.
- RSNA RadioGraphics provides users with quick access to RadioGraphics full content. View referenced articles with in-app browser; rich image viewing, jump within article sections; track viewing history; store and share articles.
- RSNA Radiology allows users to view referenced articles with an in-app browser, experience rich image viewing, jump within article sections, track viewing history and store and share articles.
- Surgical Radiology is game-center ready to track your performance.
- Centricity Radiology Mobile Access helps you support secure, efficient healthcare delivery with true anytime, anywhere access to images and reports from Centricity PACS.
- MIRC Viewer allows users to search for and view Medical Imaging Resource Center (MIRC) cases on an iPhone or iPad. This tool can work with any specified MIRC Storage Service.
- Mobile MIM is used for the registration, fusion, and/or display for diagnosis of medical images from only the following modalities: SPECT, PET, CT, and MRI. Mobile MIM provides wireless and portable access to medical images.
- OsiriX HD is a companion application to OsiriX for MacOS which is an interactive visualization program designed for display and analysis of medical images.
- Redi-Reader can be used for accessing designated medical references, including guidelines from the Infectious Disease Society of America, American Diabetes Association, STD Guidelines from the CDC, COPD Guidelines from the American Thoracic Society and others.
- SeeMyRadiology Mobile is a secure cloud-computing platform for medical image storage, sharing and collaboration. It allows imaging facilities, hospitals, physicians and patients to easily and securely exchange medical images and related documents online.